Recipe for: "BAKED ALASKA CAKE"
Ingredients- 1 pkg devil's food cake mix... plus ingredients to make the cake, 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels (I use the mini ones), 1 pkg cream cheese softened, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 container (16oz.) whip cream thawed
1. Preheat oven to 325. To get the dome shape I baked it in my Classic Batter Bowl from Pampered Chef... any oven safe mixing bowl would work. Be sure to spray or grease and flour the bowl. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until you can pass the "toothpick test." Cool for 15 minutes in bowl. Run a knife around the edges and remove cake from bowl. Let cool for 3 hours.
2. Using a knife, cut cake horizontally to make even layers. You may have to cut down the cake to make it even to stand before cutting the layers.
3. Set 1/4 cup of chocolate chips off to the side while putting the remaining into the microwave to melt down. I normally will put them in for 20 seconds at a time then stir to prevent them from burning. In another bowl... soften and whisk cream cheese. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Stir in melted chocolate. Fold in 2 cups of whip cream as well as the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips you set aside. Mix up until completely blended. Spread the mixture between each horizontal layer of cake.
4. Spread remaining filling over outside of the cake. Frost cake with what is left of the whip cream.
5. I formed peaks on the outside of the cake using a spreader... I am sure you could use a butter knife to get the same effect. Refridgerate for at least 30 minutes.