Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Like A Kid In A Candy Store

Miss Mae at Hazel Hill Chocolates downtown


So... I might have acted like a "kid in a candy store today" while enjoying my trip to HyVee. Weird, I know. But I will explain...
I, a few posts back, mentioned my recent switch back to my gluten-free diet because of my diagnosis of Celiac Disease. When I was first diagnosed, back in 2001, I had the hardest time finding GOOD gluten-free food. There is quite a bit of gluten-free specific food at health food stores; but sometimes I don't have the time to frequent 3 or 4 different grocery stores each time I go shopping. I don't mind going to 2 different places... which I often do. But 3 or 4 is just ridiculous!

HyVee has a fabulous selection of health foods which so conveniently contain g-free specific foods as well. Things have come a long way in the past 7 years for sure!! There have been two things I knew I would have to immediately give up when I went back on my diet. Pizza and Desserts. I hated the thought of that. Back in 2001 I had tried a lot of the g-free specific mixes for pizza crusts, cookies, cakes, and brownies. All were absolutely disgusting! So I still had that mentality.

Lately... I have triumphed over that stigma! Godfather's Pizza here in town is now serving G-Free PIZZA! How fabulous is that?? And it's yummy too! Also, Betty Crocker came out with new box mixes for chocolate chip cookies, yellow cake, chocolate cake, and brownies!!!!! I can't hardly stand it. I had heard this Betty Crocker rumor and raced to Wal-Mart... it was not to be found. So, my trusty senses said to try Hy-Vee and sure enough all four boxes were there! The display seemed to have a glow above it. I bought all four! I absolutely can't wait to try them. Miss Mae and I might have taken some pictures in the aisle after we found them to celebrate.


Although I was a bit apprehensive at first to go back on my diet, I have found myself to be encouraged almost daily with new findings. I am whipping up some great new recipes and my family is actually eating much healthier. I've made some fabulous g-free no-bakes, oatmeal scotchies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, chicken fried chicken, and chicken fried steak. (It doesn't sound much healthier... but we really are eating healthier I promise... I'm losing weight!) I have been forced to get creative in the kitchen... but I am loving it! My husband's even cheering me on... so it must not be that bad to eat.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up girl! I am so proud of you and happy to see you smiling all the time!!! Love ya, partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been diagnosed since 2000 and time sure have changed. I still haven't seen these mixes in a grocery store, but I keep looking. I know they'll show up eventually. I think I'll try the chocolate cake next, based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete