Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Fabulous Garden... Who Knew??


So, a few months back, my bff and I decided to plant a garden. We both love fruits and veggies and our husbands do not. We thought a small garden was a great thing for the both of us to enjoy together. We figured it was more cost effective then buying them in the store and just watching them rot because we couldn't eat it fast enough alone. But we didn't just plant any ole' garden. We got creative and challenged to try it a new way. My grandpa had seen this strange garden idea at a Home and Garden Show in town and shared his info. We thought we would at least try.
We have had a pretty successful go at it. We have had plenty of large zuchinni, beautiful red tomatoes, cute little watermelon buds, yummy cucumbers, and pumpkins we can't wait to carve.
I had to share this incredible garden idea! This is great for those of you who may rent your home, live in an apartment, or just would like a small garden without the work of tilling up the ground. We spent 10 days fertilizing and keeping the area watered. Then we laid seeds down and put about an inch or so of soil on top. We also implanted the tomatoes. We only used the soil from the plastic containers we bought them in... we didn't add any extra. We water the garden at least once a day and once a week add fish emulsion to the feeding. I have to be honest though... the
fish emulsion smells terrible and I might have only done that a handful of times.

So what makes this garden so interesting and incredible?? All the fruits and veggie implants or seeds were planted into STRAW BALES. Pretty crazy, huh? Who knew?

YUMMY CUCUMBERS

CUTE LITTLE WATERMELON I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT!



PUMPKIN FOR CARVING THIS FALL



ZUCHINNI I'VE ALREADY USED FOR SOME WONDERFUL ZUCHINNI BREAD AND WITH GRILLED VEGGIES... YUMMO!



HOW THE STRAW BALES LOOK LINED UP

BEAUTIFUL TOMATO PLANT

I am trying to make some homemade salsa with the tomatoes... does anyone have a great recipe they could share?

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that idea. I tried the upside down planters last year, but it was hard to keep them watered. I'm glad you're getting some good produce.

    Thanks for leaving a comment about my new blog look. It's nice "meeting" you. So many readers I never hear from. Your blog is beautiful. It's funny how a blog can reflect your personality. I bet you like fancy things. I like simple and practical. God made us all different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers, that is too cool!! I've been wanting to plant a garden (there's an old tomato one behind my giant shed) so I may ask you for some tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud, partner! That's some good work and a fun "together" project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks amazing. Great job... You should be proud. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Here's to another creative year.

    ReplyDelete